Updated: July 16, 2014
Doing business with the Halton Industry Education Council ("HIEC", "we" or "us") and using the "HIEC Websites" (which term includes www.hiec.on.ca, www.apprenticesearch.com, www.employerregistry.ca any and all other HIEC branded URLs which may be used by us from time to time and all components thereof) involves providing information about yourself.We take your privacy very seriously – and you have control over how your information is collected, used and disclosed by us.
We also recognize that the growth of on-line services, including Internet services, has created additional privacy concerns, particularly for consumers.HIEC maintains strict privacy policies in an effort to safeguard personally identifiable information (“PII”) and communications from unauthorized intrusions.Online privacy concerns focus primarily on the protection of PII which an individual or other customer reasonably expects to be kept private.As the term suggests, PII is information that, when associated with an individual identifies that individual, for example, a customer’s name, address, telephone number, e-mail address or credit card number.
The online services offered by HIEC include those offered through the HIEC Websites (and all components thereof) and all services offered now or in the future by HIEC, on or through the HIEC Websites (collectively, the "Services").
Information Collection and Use
- When you create an account and/or otherwise use the Services, we require certain information, including but not necessarily limited to your name, phone number and email address.
- We may automatically receive and record non-PII (i.e. information that does not identify you personally) on HIEC Website server logs from your browser, including your IP address, cookie information and the page you requested. (User IP addresses may be recorded for security and monitoring purposes.)
- We may use information for the following general purposes:
- to fulfill your requests for certain services, information and/or materials; and
- to protect you and/or HIEC from error, fraud and unauthorized access to and/or use of the Services.
Information Sharing and Disclosure by HIEC
- HIEC will not share PII about you to other companies or people except when:
- we have your consent to share the information;
- we need to share the information with individuals and/or companies who work with and/or on behalf of HIEC to provide services to you;
- we reasonably believe it is necessary to share PII:
- to investigate, prevent or take action regarding situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, or
- for risk management purposes;
- we are required to disclose PII by reasons of a court order, subpoena, search warrant, or other legal process or in the case of imminent physical harm to the customer or others, or
- to establish or exercise HIEC's legal rights or defend against legal claims.
Cookies and Usage Data
- When you access the Internet, the computers that host websites you visit (“web servers”) automatically receive some anonymous information. This “usage data” may include a record of which pages a web browser has visited.The Website's servers receive usage data when users visit the Website and possibly when users visit other sites as well.HIEC and its advertisers may use various kinds of software devices to collect information about Internet use.
- Small files called “cookies” may be attached to your Web browser and your computer.You may be able to configure your browser to accept or block all or some cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set.Each browser is different, so check the "Help" menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.Note: Disabling cookies may mean that we won't be able provide certain services, which may be of use to you.
- HIEC may also use "web beacons" to access HIEC's cookies inside and outside the HIEC Websites and in connection with the Services.
Links & Third Party Applications
- HIEC may provide, and the HIEC Websites may contain links to other websites.Although we strive to only link to websites that share HIEC's high standards and respect for privacy, we are not responsible for the content or practices employed by other websites or parties.
- Third party applications (such as widgets) created by third party developers may also be available on the HIEC Websites.Third party applications are small bits of software, often with interactivity, that can be installed into profiles or shared with other Users.HIEC does not control third party developers and cannot dictate their actions.When you engage with a third party application, you are interacting with the third party developer, not with HIEC.We strongly encourage you to not provide PII to any third party unless you know the third party with whom you are interacting.
- If you go to another web site, including an advertiser’s web site (for example by clicking on an advertisement), or request information or enter a contest, be aware that you may be authorizing another company, including an advertising company, to use information you supply.An advertiser's collection and use of information is subject to its own privacy policies, not this one.
Editing and Deleting Information
- You have the right to access, verify and update your PII at any time, including whether you want HIEC to contact you about specials and new services.You may modify or remove any of your PII (except for your name) at any time by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- HIEC honours requests from users to review all PII maintained in reasonably retrievable form, and will correct any such information which may be inaccurate.You may also verify that appropriate corrections have been made.
Confidentiality and Security
- We have safeguards to protect your PII and we use commercially reasonable measures to safeguard PII in HIEC’s possession against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure or modification.
- In addition, HIEC uses reasonable methods to make sure that PII is accurate, up-to-date and appropriately complete.
- In order to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under HIEC's control, HIEC's database resides behind firewalls.
- We limit access to PII about you to people who, as part of their job, we believe need to come into contact with that information to provide services to you.
- Despite HIEC's high standards, no claim is made as to the impenetrability of the system under unusual circumstances or its resilience to future attacks.
- In the event that you believe that your personal safety is at risk or if you believe that you may be the victim of identity theft or other illegal conduct, please contact the appropriate federal, provincial or local law enforcement agencies directly.
- HIEC will inform you of any changes we make by sending a notice to you via email and/or by posting an announcement on the HIEC Websites (as applicable).