NEWS | SEP 22 2021
Apply For The Avenues To Apprenticeship Program
Avenues to Apprenticeship is an 18-week, free program offered by our partner, ApprenticeSearch.com. It provides racialized youth who are interested in the trades with four weeks of paid training, a 14 week employment opportunity, and a variety of other supports (like job coaching and access to mentors) to help start a career in the skilled trades.
Not sure what trade you should pursue? Don’t worry - this program will include career awareness learning, including a skills, interests and personality assessment, that will help you focus on the right opportunities for you.
In addition, you’ll receive a clothing and tool stipend to prepare you for employment, personal protective equipment that will allow you to work safely during COVID-19, the technology required to complete training, and support for childcare needs if necessary.
Who is this program for?
This program is designed for young people who:
- Are interested in a career in the skilled trades, but don’t know how to get started
- Have experienced barriers to employment in the skilled trades and are looking for support
- Would like to gain skilled trades knowledge and experience before pursuing a pre-apprenticeship program
Am I eligible?
To be eligible, you are a BIPOC Canadian who is:
- Between the ages of 17-30
- Eligible to work in Canada
- Living in the GTA
- Available for 4 weeks of paid training, beginning October 2021
- Available for a 14 week employment opportunity, beginning in November 2021
How do I apply?
Register your interest for this program at: www.hiec.on.ca/what-we-do/avenues-to-apprenticeship
NEWS | AUG 23 2021
Canada Ontario Job Grant
Receive up to 50-83% in Employee Training Grants
The Canada-Ontario Job Grant (COJG) is an Ontario government funding program that offers training grants to employers. Through the program, companies may receive non-repayable funding from the government to purchase third-party business training programs, including training for in-demand skillsets. Training is expected to improve the employability and value employees can provide; including new hires in these training sessions can also maximize your funding potential.
Learn more about the Canada Job Grant (CJG) and each provincial stream.
NEWS | AUG 23 2021
Virtual Trades & Tech Discovery Day For New Canadians
Virtual Trades & Tech Discovery Day for New Canadians
Join Skills Ontario and our Discovery Day event partners to learn about the incredible career opportunities that exist in skilled trades and technologies. Hear from industry, educational and community service provider experts about careers, pathways and support programs for new comers to Ontario.
This event is FREE to attend, requires no travel and can be accessed on any PC or mobile device with an internet connection!
NEWS | AUG 16 2021
Avenues To Apprenticeship
AVENUES TO APPRENTICESHIP
Access the training, support and job opportunities you need to break into the skilled trades.
Skilled Trades Career Education & Employment.
The Avenues to Apprenticeship Program includes:
- Pre-employment and job readiness training
- Relevant health and safety certifications
- Enhanced employer connections and job search support
- PPE, tool and equipment subsidies
Eligible participants will meet the following criteria:
- Living in Ontario
- Between the ages of 19-30
- Possesses a valid driver's licence and access to reliable transportation preferred
- Availability to participate in a weekly training program (some virtual and some self-directed)
- Availability to participate in a short-term work placement
- An interest in working in the skilled trades
REGISTER ONLINE AT https://forms.gle/y1wYbkmnFNJbBVvr6
NEWS | AUG 10 2021
The Workforce Accelerator Generating Employment (W.A.G.E.) Program
The Workforce Accelerator Generating Employment (W.A.G.E.) construction program will give you the skills and training you need to get a job in this quickly-growing sector. FREE!
- 14-week program, 24 hours per week
- New sessions starting Summer 2021, Fall 2021 and Winter 2022
- Learn the latest techniques in concrete forming and production framing
- Get hands-on training in Mohawk College’s world-class facilities
- Limited Space Available!
The program will offer 4 of the 10 courses required for the Mohawk Construction Techniques certificate:
- Concrete Forming and Finishing Techniques
- Production Framing Techniques
- Workplace Safety
- Surveying and Layout CET
Additional Program Supports:
- Employability skills webinars and training sessions
- Childcare subsidy and transportation assistance
- Association memberships, industry certifications, safety training and equipment purchases
- Assistance completing OCAS applications
If you are interested in joining the W.A.G.E. Construction program, join us at an upcoming information session to determine if you qualify.
Connect with IEC Hamilton at firstname.lastname@example.org
NEWS | AUG 10 2021
Enhanced supports for Employers & Apprentices
The government has launched the following new programs to improve services for apprentices:
- The Group Sponsorship Grant which encourages employers to come together to train apprentices in the full scope of their trade.
- The Achievement Incentive program to encourage skilled trades employers to train apprentices toward trade program progression, completion and certification through milestone payments.
Learn more about money apprentices can receive during their training.