Avenues to Apprenticeship is an 18-week, free program offered by our partner, ApprenticeSearch.com. It provides racialized youth who are interested in the trades with four weeks of paid training, a 14 week employment opportunity, and a variety of other supports (like job coaching and access to mentors) to help start a career in the skilled trades.
Not sure what trade you should pursue? Don’t worry - this program will include career awareness learning, including a skills, interests and personality assessment, that will help you focus on the right opportunities for you.
In addition, you’ll receive a clothing and tool stipend to prepare you for employment, personal protective equipment that will allow you to work safely during COVID-19, the technology required to complete training, and support for childcare needs if necessary.
Who is this program for?
This program is designed for young people who:
- Are interested in a career in the skilled trades, but don’t know how to get started
- Have experienced barriers to employment in the skilled trades and are looking for support
- Would like to gain skilled trades knowledge and experience before pursuing a pre-apprenticeship program
Am I eligible?
To be eligible, you are a BIPOC Canadian who is:
- Between the ages of 17-30
- Eligible to work in Canada
- Living in the GTA
- Available for 4 weeks of paid training, beginning October 2021
- Available for a 14 week employment opportunity, beginning in November 2021
How do I apply?
Register your interest for this program at: www.hiec.on.ca/what-we-do/avenues-to-apprenticeship